Current:Home > MarketsGarth Brooks claims he's a victim of a 'shakedown,' names himself and rape accuser -Infinite Edge Learning
Garth Brooks claims he's a victim of a 'shakedown,' names himself and rape accuser
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-07 01:53:53
Garth Brooks has responded in court to a sexual assault and battery lawsuit anonymously filed last week by his former hair and make-up artist.
In court documents filed Tuesday and obtained by USA TODAY, Brooks identifies himself as the John Doe who initiated a case in Mississippi federal court Sept. 13 by asking a judge to preemptively declare sexual misconduct allegations from a woman – identified then as Jane Roe – to be untrue and award him damages for emotional distress and defamation.
The allegations first became public when Roe filed a civil lawsuit in Los Angeles Superior Court Thursday accusing the country superstar of raping her in a Los Angeles hotel room in 2019. In Tuesday's amended complaint, Brooks also names the woman accusing him of sexual assault.
The intention of the anonymous complaint, in which Brooks is described as "a celebrity and public figure who resides in Tennessee," was "to avoid the irreparable harm to reputation that he seeks to prevent (through) this action," the filing states. In a separate filing, Brooks denounces Roe's legal team for naming him in her California lawsuit before the Mississippi court could rule whether to allow Brooks to continue the case with a pseudonym.
Roe's lawyers "wrested the decision" from the court by identifying Brooks as the defendant in her sexual assault case in an Oct. 3 CNN article, which they say published before her suit was "available on a public docket."
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
Brooks' lawyers note that in an Oct. 1 filing, Roe's lawyers said she respects the court's authority "to decide whether Mr. Doe can proceed under a pseudonym" and "will wait until later this week to make sure there is no objection from this Honorable Court before filing her California action in this manner."
Jane Roe's lawyers slam Garth Brooks: 'He publicly named a rape victim'
In a statement shared with USA TODAY Tuesday, Roe's lawyers – Douglas H. Wigdor, Jeanne M. Christensen and Hayley Baker – denounced Brooks for naming their client in his filing.
"Garth Brooks just revealed his true self. Out of spite and to punish, he publicly named a rape victim," the attorneys said. "With no legal justification, Brooks outed her because he thinks the laws don't apply to him. On behalf of our client, we will be moving for maximum sanctions against him immediately."
Wigdor denounced Brooks's claims that he was being extorted by Roe. "He is far from the victim of a shakedown and in fact offered millions of dollars to keep this matter from becoming public," he told USA TODAY.
When reached for comment about Roe's legal team's statement, a representative for Brooks pointed to Tuesday's filings as "self-explanatory."
'Fallible humans with inevitable flaws':Why the Garth Brooks news is an important reminder
Garth Brooks says he's 'the victim of a shakedown'
Brooks, who denies all of Roe's allegations, calls himself "the victim of a shakedown" that began four years ago.
In his amended complaint, Brooks describes Roe as an "independent contractor" who worked with him "for approximately fifteen years before she relocated from Tennessee to Mississippi in May 2020."
After moving, she started requesting assistance amid financial difficulties, with Brooks complying "out of loyalty," he claims. She then allegedly made more demands for financial assistance, and when he declined to offer her a salary and medical benefits, she levied "false and outrageous allegations of sexual misconduct she claims occurred years ago," Brooks says.
He first learned of Roe's allegations when her lawyers sent a letter in July with what he calls "fabricated allegations," according to his Tuesday filing. Her lawyers allegedly asked Brooks to pay "millions of dollars" in exchange for not filing the lawsuit in what he calls "blackmail correspondence."
In light of "Roe’s willingness to proceed under her name in this litigation" and her team publicly naming Brooks in the California lawsuit, Brooks filed an amended complaint without pseudonyms.
In their Oct. 1 opposition to Brooks' motion to proceed with a pseudonym, Roe's lawyers wrote, "Although Ms. Roe believes that her name warrants protection and that ultimately the California court should decide that issue, she is willing to proceed using her name here if this Court believes that is necessary in denying Plaintiff’s motion."
In an Oct. 3 statement, Brooks denied Roe's accusations and said: "I do not fear the truth, and I am not the man they have painted me to be."
Read more celebrity news: Sign up for USA TODAY's Everyone's Talking newsletter.
Garth Brooks seemingly addresses rape accusations on Facebook Live
Days after the lawsuit against Brooks became public, the singer seemingly addressed the possibility of a two-year legal battle following Roe's accusations.
"Lot's happened in the last two weeks. Let's address the elephant in the room, shall we?" Brooks said in a video during his Facebook Live show "Inside Studio G" shared Oct. 7. "This thing is on; it's gonna happen."
Alluding to the legal battle, Brooks said: "People are telling me it could be up to two years. So my suggestion is, we all take a deep breath, just kinda settle in and let’s hold hands and take a trip together. Because it is something that we cannot talk about. That's all we can say about it."
Former employee of Garth Brooks alleges sexual abuse began in 2019
According to Roe's 27-page lawsuit, she was first hired in 1999 as a hairstylist and makeup artist for Brooks' wife, Trisha Yearwood. In the suit, Roe claims she continued to work for Yearwood "over the years, as well as for many other celebrities."
In 2017, Brooks also became one of her clients, she said. The alleged abuse began two years later.
Accuser's lawsuit:Jane Roe details alleged assault and rape as Garth Brooks denies claims
According to the suit, Roe was at Brooks' house to style his hair and do his make-up when "she looked up in horror as Brooks walked out of the shower, naked, with an erection and pointing his penis at Ms. Roe." He then proceeded to grab her hands "and forced them onto his erect penis," the suit stated.
"Brooks appallingly told Ms. Roe that he had fantasized about this moment and wanted her to perform oral sex on him so that he could 'come all over her face,' specifically while she had her 'glasses on,'" the lawsuit continues.
Brooks also allegedly sexually assaulted her in May 2019 when they traveled to Los Angeles to attend a Grammy tribute for R&B singer Sam Moore. He allegedly "forcefully penetrated her" in a hotel suite before she did his hair and makeup for the event, Roe claimed.
Contributing: Pamela Avila
If you are a survivor of sexual assault, RAINN offers support through the National Sexual Assault Hotline at 800.656.HOPE (4673) and Hotline.RAINN.org and en Español RAINN.org/es.
veryGood! (6)
Related
- Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
- Utah’s multibillion dollar oil train proposal chugs along amid environment and derailment concerns
- Teen Rapper Lil Tay Dead
- Malika Andrews to replace Mike Greenberg as ESPN’s NBA Finals host, per report
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- Trial begins for man charged in killing of girl, 10, whose disappearance prompted monthslong search
- Zoom's terms of service changes spark worries over AI uses. Here's what to know.
- Ex-Las Vegas Raider Henry Ruggs sentenced to 3-plus years in prison for fatal DUI crash in Nevada
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- Judge rules retrial of ex-Philadelphia officer in 2020 protest actions should be held outside city
Ranking
- The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
- Northwestern athletic director blasts football staffers for ‘tone deaf’ shirts supporting Fitzgerald
- Appeal arguments are set on an order limiting Biden administration communications with social media
- Ole Miss' Lane Kiffin raises student-athlete concerns in wake of schools exiting Pac-12
- 'Most Whopper
- Officers in Washington state fatally shoot man who fired on them, police say
- Botched's Terry Dubrow Says Wife Heather Saved His Life During Medical Emergency
- Subway offered free subs for life if you changed your name to 'Subway'. 10,000 people volunteered.
Recommendation
Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
Mega Millions winner? The best way to take your payout if you're worried about taxes.
3-month-old baby dies after being left alone in car in Houston
Botched's Terry Dubrow Says Wife Heather Saved His Life During Medical Emergency
North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
Sixto Rodriguez, musician subject of 'Searching for Sugar Man,' dies at 81
Journalists seek regulations to govern fast-moving artificial intelligence technology
Former Raiders WR Henry Ruggs III sentenced to 3 to 10 years in prison